Osteoporosis is a illness that happens when poor-quality bone tissue causes your bones to change into weak and brittle, which places you at excessive danger of getting bone fractures. Once you may have osteoporosis, it’s simple to interrupt a bone as the results of an motion that may have been uneventful in case your bones have been stronger: a minor fall and even simply bending over to tie your shoelaces, for instance. Osteoporosis is widespread, with round one out of every two women prone to break a bone from the illness of their lifetime.
You can’t really feel your bones getting weaker, and there are sometimes no warning indicators of osteoporosis earlier than you break a bone, however there are steps you possibly can take to maintain your bones robust and wholesome — and also you’re by no means too younger to begin.
Why do bones get weaker as we age?
After age 40, women are prone to begin shedding bone mass for quite a lot of causes. It can occur as the results of age itself, lowering estrogen ranges, lack of bodily exercise and poor vitamin. And women usually expertise speedy bone loss in the course of the 5 to seven years instantly after menopause. In reality, women can lose up to 20% of their bone density throughout this time. After this time level, bone loss tends to sluggish.
7 methods to help wholesome bones
- Be positive to get the advisable quantity of calcium and vitamin D, which helps your physique soak up calcium, every day. The newest government recommendation for calcium for women between the ages of 19 and 50 is 1,000 milligrams per day and 1,200 milligrams per day for women above age 51. The recommended daily allowance of vitamin D for women ages 13 to 70 is 600 IU.
- Eat a diet stuffed with loads of calcium-rich meals, comparable to yogurt, soybeans, tofu and salmon. Foods excessive in vitamin D embrace egg yolks, fatty fish, liver and fortified milk.
- Engage in common weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening workouts. Strength coaching can’t solely sluggish bone loss however could even construct stronger and denser bones due to the tugging and pushing on the bone that happen once you carry out the train. Weight-bearing cardio train like strolling and working depend, too.
- Avoid excessive quantities of caffeine and salt, each of which can contribute to bone loss.
- Don’t smoke. Several research have discovered smoking to be a danger issue for osteoporosis and bone fracture. The extra cigarettes you smoke and the longer you smoke, the larger your danger of fracture.
- Avoid consuming extra alcohol. Chronic use of alcohol, which interferes with the stability of calcium within the physique, has been linked to elevated fracture danger of the hip, backbone and wrist.
- Help your youngsters start constructing robust bones throughout childhood and adolescence. About 85% to 90% of grownup bone mass is acquired by age 18 in ladies and age 20 in boys.
Questions about bone health? Talk to your healthcare supplier.
If you’re involved about bone loss and osteoporosis, discuss to your healthcare supplier. Together, you possibly can assess your private danger and provide you with a therapy plan.